Mr. Paradise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George

6 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  06:55:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
For those who like their police procedurals with a little twist, I'd recommend "Mr. Paradise" by Elmore Leonard. The story involves two young women, one a fashion model and the other a prostitute, who are close friends. They cooperate to fulfill an elderly man's sexual fantasies about cheerleaders, not knowing that the evening will end with one of them murdered and the other caught up in a tangled and dangerous mess.

Though I thought that Leonard changed point of view from one character to another a bit too often, the story is tightly paced. Nobody has a better ear for dialogue than Leonard, except perhaps Robert Parker. "Mr. Paradise" is a very easy read that will keep you turning pages to find out what happens next.

Does anyone out there have an opinion on Elmore Leonard's writing?

lin

1 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  09:29:09  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I've read everything by Leonard (including the Westerns he made his bones with years ago) and like him a lot, grab the latest one. Though I haven't liked his recent ones as much as earlier stuff.

For those who'd like to read other similar authors, I'd recommend Timothy Watts very highly, very similar to the "loner pops in, does a caper" Leonard stuff like Stick, Glitz, Big Bounce.

Also Tom Kakonis is excellent writer, and even has a lot of the same Florida/Detroit axis as Leonard. Stories tend to center on gambling.

Thomas Perry is actually a better writer (he was also the writer for the Simon and Simon TV show, but it's not much like his books) His first three "Metzger's Dog", Island, and Big Fish are almost a genre in themselves. Tough, realistic, humorous...always a superb female lead.
His series about Jane Whitfield are unique and cool--an American Indian woman who helps people disappear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Speculative Fiction Review © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page