New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

specfiction

203 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  11:40:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Here's a quote by General Patreaus today about Iraq:

Petraeus said the shift in loyalty among many Sunni insurgents in Iraq's western Anbar province, Baghdad's Amariyah district and a similar hotspot in the city called Ghazaliyah was "a pretty big deal."

"You have to pinch yourself a little to make sure that is real because that is a very significant development in this kind of operation in counterinsurgency," he said. "It's all about the local people. When all the sudden the local people are on the side of the new Iraq instead of on the side of the insurgents or even al-Qaida, that's a very significant change."

What in the world is he talking about? To my knowledge there are NO Iraq government troops supporting American troops in Anbar. Why not?--because the Sunni chiefs in Anbar consider the Iraq government their enemy. Sure they'll sign up with Americans as long as Americans help them kill their Al-Qaida enemies, but they've made it clear that once that's done, they'd like to see the Americans gone, and want nothing to do with the government in Baghdad. Many intelligence personal are worried that training the Sunnis in the west to have their "own" army will make them that much more effective in fighting the Baghdad government in a winner-take-all civil war once the Americans and Al-Qaida are gone.

If this is not the case, Patreaus should make this very clear and tell us how many government troops are fighting side by side with Sunnis in Anbar. He should also show us the progress by having government officials meet with Anbar war lords. My guess is that those government officials won't come--they know it's suicide.

Here is the point made crystal clear by American combat soldiers returning from Iraq:

The War as We Saw It

As a postscript, two of the six soldiers that wrote the piece in the NYT are now dead--killed in Iraq, a third was critically wounded and is recovering in Southern California...

In newer developments, as many tout the surge as "working," reports from impartial sources are starting to see the obvious: U.S. sponsorship of Sunni groups worries Iraq's government

specfiction

203 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  17:56:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Here is a CBS Weekly commentary by CBS Evening News chief Washington correspondent and Face the Nation host Bob Schieffer.

"Sixteen years on Face The Nation has taught me one thing: When I ask a question and guests start laying out conditions such as "first let me tell you," or "the real questions is," or "it is important to put that in context," I know we're headed down the old rabbit trail that will take us anywhere but to a straight answer.

When people want to answer, they do so quickly, directly and clearly. When they don't we get all those conditions and lectures about the importance of context.

So excuse me for getting a little suspicious after hearing the White House is proposing some new conditions on the delivery of General Petraeus' long-awaited report on progress in Iraq conditions such as the White House wanting the general to deliver the report to Congress behind closed doors while cabinet officers do the talking in public.

And, suddenly we're told the general won't actually write the report but that his thoughts will be incorporated in a summary prepared by the White House.

Mind you, this is the report the president has said over and over that he will use to decide where we go from here in Iraq.

Over and over, we've been told not to rush to judgment until we hear from the general.

Now we're hearing all these new conditions.

Maybe it's because I've been dragged down the old rabbit trail too many times by too many people with something to hide, but this doesn't sound like we're headed to a straight answer.

No, this sounds like anything but. And that is a real shame."

specfiction

203 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:16:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Here are John Kerry and McCain comparing Iraq to Vietnam. And Patreaus sounds unnervingly like Westmoreland:

Iraq and Vietnam<=>Patreaus and Westmoreland

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Speculative Fiction Review © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page